The Newfoundland and Labrador Federation of Agriculture (NLFA) is an organization which represents farmers and farmer groups in the province. Our motto is “Farmers Helping Farmers”, and we believe that by sharing information and speaking with a united voice, farmers can work more effectively for the betterment of the agriculture industry, and for the improvement of our Province as a whole.
The Federation of Agriculture is composed of an Executive and Board of Directors. The Board of Directors is made up of representatives of the various commodity boards, producer organizations, regional groups, and agricultural interest groups. Independent farmers, who are not represented by any of the member organizations, may also join.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
- To coordinate the efforts of Newfoundland farmers for the purpose of promoting their common interest through collective action.
- To render services that will promote and advance the social and economic conditions of those engaged in agricultural pursuits.
- To assist in formulating and promoting Agricultural policies to meet changing economic conditions.
- To negotiate with Provincial and Federal Governments for the development of policies and programs designed to further agricultural development within the Province.
- To take common action on any and all matters of interest and benefit to farmers.
- To keep the farming and general public informed on the state of the industry and its importance to the Provincial economy.
- To do all other things which are conducive to the attainment of these objectives and which are consistent with the mandate and powers of the Federation.
- To administer funds provided through any Federal and/or Provincial Government Programs in order to assist the agriculture industry in Newfoundland in the transition to an unsubsidized environment and to facilitate the move toward a more stable, market driven sector; and to assist the agriculture and agrifood industry in Newfoundland in adapting to new policy and market environments in order to facilitate the move toward a more stable self-reliant sector.
- To establish and maintain appropriate affiliation with groups or organizations pertinent to the objectives described herein.
P. O. Box 1045
308 Brookfield Road, Building 4
Mount Pearl, NL A1N 3C9
Phone: (709) 747-4874
Fax: (709) 747-8827
The Newfoundland and Labrador Federation of Agriculture administers a number of programs which benefit the farming community in the province. This includes the Canadian Agricultural Adaptation Program (CAAP), and the Advance Payments Program (APP).
The Canadian Agricultural Adaptation Program (CAAP) is a five-year (2009-2014), $163 million program with the objective of facilitating the agriculture, agri-food, and agri-based products sector's ability to seize opportunities, to respond to new and emerging issues, and to pathfind and pilot solutions to new and ongoing issues in order to help it adapt and remain competitive.
Launched as a successor to the Advancing Canadian Agriculture and Agri-Food (ACAAF) program, the Canadian Agricultural Adaptation Program (CAAP) will continue to support industry-led initiatives at the national, regional and multi-regional levels.
The Advance Payments Program is a financial loan guarantee program that gives producers easier access to credit through cash advances.
The new Advance Payments Program (APP) is now available to producers.
The Spring Credit Advance Program and the previous Advance Payments
Program have now been merged into a single program which is the